Thursday 4 September 2008

First bonfire of autumn

After a dismal August it's already feeling autumnal down on the plot. I've been clearing my fences of unwanted weeds like bramble and bindweed and had a bonfire today to get rid of them.

The beds are starting to empty as I harvest crops and the summer gluts are over. The courgette and pumpkin foliages are suffering from powdery mildew and looking a bit sad. I haven't had any courgettes for a few days now, although the patty pan is still performing well.

I did get around to trying stuffed patty pan, and some courgettes for comparison.


These are green patty pan, round and Lebanese courgettes, which are club shaped. They're par boiled, scooped out, then stuffed with onions, chopped courgette flesh, breadcrumbs and grated cheese. They are pretty tasty, especially the patty pan.

The pumpkins have stopped growing and are turning orange:

9th August


30th August

I haven't measured this big one yet but it must be around 1.3m (4'3''). The final height of my son's sunflower was 289cm (9'6''). Some of the sunflower heads have ripened and the birds are already feasting on the seeds (this is the sunflower from 11th August post).

If the birds are eating my sunflowers at least I feel less guilty for picking the blackberries around the car park for my blackberry and apple crumbles!



My thoughts are turning to what needs doing over the coming months, preparing the rest of the plot and planning what to grow next year.

I recently found out that I came just in the top half of the points table in the site's best plot awards this year. I thought that was quite good for my first year and out of around 200 plot holders. But next year I want to do better.

No comments: